Tuesday, April 28, 2009

lysistrata





The of Athens women taking the oath to deny their men, um, satisfaction.



I thought Lysistrata was fantastic, although it definately it wasn't what I was expecting of this readings for this class. She's the original empowered woman, using her sexuality to get what she wanted - although not like the free-love hippies. I googled Lysistrata and found this image all over the place:


Although its not quite the same sentiment - the athenian women were witholding sex - I thought Lysistrata, were she not a fictional character, would approve. The woman is provocative, enticing, and distracting - which was their aim. We could probably learn a lot from the women of Athens - what is more important? Love (alright, sex) or War?

One of the blogs I found this image attached to also included this little poem as part of a campaign to uphold Roe vs Wade:

"With apologies to Dr. Seuss:
I will not have sex in a box

I will not have sex with a fox

I will not have sex in a house

I will not have sex with a mouse

I will not have sex here or there

I will not have sex anywhere
I will not have sex with a man

I will not have sex with a fan

I will not have sex with a pharmacist

I will not have sex since I'm pissed

I will not have sex with a Democrat,'

til we have a little "pro-choice" chat,

I will not have sex with a Republican,

'cause I'm a part of the Lysistrata sex -ban!

I will not have sex with a judge.

I will not, will not, will not budge."

It looks like Lysistrata's sex ban is inspiring women even today.

And the past possesses the present.

source: http://fervidus.typepad.com/lingual_tremors/2006/01/the_lysistrata_.html

No comments:

Post a Comment